If you’re a fan of turnips, you’d most likely love rutabagas. The two are similar in both appearance and taste. The rutabaga is a cruciferous vegetable that’s packed with fiber, Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, calcium, niacin and other nutrients. It’s often used in soups, stews and casseroles for its nutty, peppery flavor.
Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to improve digestion, provide the body with essential nutrients, give the immune system a natural boost and even help prevent cancer.
Rutabaga Health Benefits
1. Helps Prevent Cancer. Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to prevent cancer. The vegetable is high in antioxidants that work to reduce cancer growth and protect the body from disease. Rutabaga contains glucosinolates, which are known to stimulate cell death in tumor cells. Studies have shown that diets high in cruciferous vegetables are associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
2. Improves Digestion Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to improve digestion. Look other cruciferous vegetables, the rutabaga is contains a healthy dose of beneficial fiber. Fiber aids in digestion by encouraging healthy bowel movements and working to prevent digestive issues. Rutabaga health benefits also include the ability to provide natural constipation relief. Studies have shown that adding high-fiber foods to your diet can help treat many health conditions, including hemorrhoids, high cholesterol, heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
3. Provides the Body With Potassium Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to provide the body with a healthy dose of potassium. The body needs potassium to ensure that the cells, tissues and organs all function properly. Potassium also serves as an electrolyte. Low potassium levels can lead to unwanted symptoms, including weakness, nausea, constipation, abdominal cramping and heart palpitations. Adding rutabaga to your diet can help increase your potassium intake, which can help improve cardiovascular health.
4. Provides the Body With Antioxidants Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to provide the body with disease-fighting antioxidants. The nutritious vegetable contains carotenoids that offer many health benefits, including the ability to decrease the risk of eye disease. Many rutabaga health benefits stem from the vegetable’s high antioxidant content. The glucosinolates and carotenoids work to reduce the risk of disease, including cancer.
5. Boosts the Immune System Rutabaga health benefits include the ability to give the immune system a natural boost. It contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which plays an important role in immune system function. One small rutabaga contains about 80% of your daily Vitamin C needs. Thanks to Vitamin C, rutabaga health benefits include the ability to strengthen the immune system and help the body fight against bacteria and infection. Vitamin C helps to reduce the risk of illness and disease, from the common cold, flu and pneumonia, to malaria and cancer.